Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27
Peace in the midst of this global viral outbreak is difficult to attain when so many questions are still left unanswered. It is our hope to serve and guide our families through these uncertain times by providing a plan, community support, and a sense of normalcy.
PLAN: BLESSED SACRAMENT CONNECT: Providing Community, Education and Support.
- As of this evening, Blessed Sacrament will remain open on Wednesday, March 18th. This critical time will allow staff to ensure technology and lessons are in place to remotely educate our children should school be closed in the coming weeks. There will be a conference call on Monday with all Deanery Pastors and Principals to determine what additional days our schools will be in session.
- Our staff will meet tomorrow, Monday, March 16th to review our distance learning plan should school close in the coming weeks. Should your child not be able to attend on Wednesday, please call the office to set up a time to pick up materials and textbooks for distance learning.
- Our plan will continue to evolve as we learn what will work best for our community.
Here are a few highlights of what to expect:
BSS CONNECT: Distance Learning: To ensure a seamless education experience while away from the school building, we will implement the following steps:
Pre-K – 5 will utilize RenWeb to communicate, send lessons, post homework, transmit attachments & resources. To allow for 2-way conferencing and tutorials, the lower grades will use Zoom.
Grades 6-8 will utilize RenWeb to communicate and post homework. Attachments, resources, Middle School Week-at-a-Glance and other forms of communication will all be sent through Google using the students’ Chromebooks. Zoom will also be used for student conferencing and large group tutorials.
- Daily Routine
Students will check in each day through RenWeb. Each morning we will begin the school day by streaming morning announcements at 9:00 AM. On Mondays, right after announcements, you will receive a link to view an individual teacher video outlining classwork for the week. You can expect 4 hours of instruction each day at a minimum.
This does not include homework time and the daily physical exercise lesson that will be provided to keep our children active and healthy.
- Lesson Plans and Scheduling
The schedule will allow for flexibility, but we encourage you to establish a routine from the beginning to maintain a flow in the learning process. The schedule will evolve and will be slightly different for each classroom. Teachers will send more details home prior to implementation. You can expect all major subject areas covered over the course of a week. In addition, the specialists will have weekly lessons.
- Additional Components to the Instructional Process (not all teachers will use all components)
- Videotaped overview of lessons weekly
- Videotaped lectures (teachers, Father Brannen, etc.)
- Conference check: 2 way individual conferencing for each student
- Video Tutorials: 2 way group tutorials in key content areas
- Assistance for Interrelated Students: These teachers will offer weekly individual tutorials for their students
The Catholic Schools Office has mandated that all afterschool activities be suspended at this time. We will have EDP open on any day school is in session; however, if school is suspended EDP will not be available. In addition, all afternoon activities such as tutorials, clubs, meetings, and athletics will be suspended through May 15. Cancellation of evening events include:
25 Spring History Play (tentative reschedule date: May 13)
27 Bingo (May 15)
30 Confirmation Dinner (May 4)
31 Confirmation (May 5)
3 Disney Fundraiser at Camp villa Marie (TBD)
We will continue to update you as decisions are made concerning school closures. Expect an email notification in the next two days outlining plans for the coming weeks. Please help get prepared by conducting an inventory of the technology your children have access to, as well as making sure you know your RenWeb login, your child’s login for Iready, and your middle school student’s gmail address.
Let us ready our days ahead to plan and protect; let us ready our hearts and minds knowing that God’s peace, which surpasses all understanding, will guard and guide us through this difficult time. Please gather your family daily to pray for God’s protection. He will see us through this.
Lynn Brown, Principal